Healing Hamilton

Assisting you on your path to physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well being.


Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pass the Buck(et)

I'm not against lists - they're handy at the grocery store and I rely on them when Christmas shopping - but a bucket list just isn't my style.  The idea of a list of things to do before I die makes me feel inadequate somehow, like I've missed important chunks of my life that I need to jot down so I don't forget them again.   No, a bucket list is not for me.

What's wrong with being content anyway?  Content to walk barefoot in the grass in summer.  Content to feel the sun on your face in winter.  Content to go to for a walk in the woods.  To work hard.  To fall into a soft bed at the end of the day. 

I don't need a list to remind me to hug my family, pet my cat, or share a meal with friends.   No, a bucket list is not for me.



He who is contented is rich.



12 comments:

  1. Contentment is good, and it's wonderful that you are contented. Interestingly, I think of myself as contented, but I still have all these things I'd like to do, places I'd like to go, books I'd like to write. I don't think it's in my nature to be content in the same sense you are.

    My previous employer gave us the opportunity to take a battery of tests and have a consultation with a team of psychologists to find out what direction we wanted our futures to go. I was told never to retire--that I wouldn't like it. I guess they were right. The first year I retired, I started writing for a local magazine and polishing my manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought about a bucket list. As time goes by, what once seemed super important doesn't really matter. And it's more important to enjoy what you do than it is to do what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anglaparsonmyers - I hope you get the chance to do all those things, go to all those places and write all those books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess for me it's more about keeping a kind of bucket list just to keep some sort of goals in mind. I need something to work toward in my life and there is always something!
    I am very contented with my life, but I'm not done living it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a mixture of perfectly happy in the here and now & looking with great expectation toward the future. My 'list' is often just a mental note to try something I see that intrigues me, and there are usually a few things that speak to me at any given time. When opportunity presents itself, I like to swim right in. :O)

    Oh, and I'm so glad to see you again. I've missed your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jo - We all need something to work toward.... mine is chocolate. :)

    @Word Nerd - Thanks! The transition from old computer to new took a little longer than anticipated. Happy to be back on-line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fair enough. It's not for everyone.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Joyce Lansky - what I really enjoy about the weekly GBE2 word prompt is how different our responses to it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @danneromero & @KAT - thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts